What is SaaS?
Software-as-a-service (SaaS) is a way of delivering applications over the Internet—as a service. Instead of installing and maintaining software, you simply access it via the Internet, freeing yourself from complex software and hardware management.
SaaS applications are sometimes called Web-based software, on-demand software, or hosted software. Whatever the name is , SaaS applications run on a SaaS provider’s servers. The provider manages access to the application, including security, availability, and performance. SaaS customers have no hardware or software to buy, install, maintain, or update. Access to applications is easy: You just need an Internet connection.
3 main categories of cloud based services:
Software as a service (SaaS): a method of delivering applications on demand and online.
Platform as a service (PaaS): an environment in which you can develop, deliver and manage on-demand and online applications.
Infrastructure as a service (IaaS): the ability to rent equipment, infrastructure, e.g. servers and on-demand storage and online.
The advantages of SaaS solutions
The main advantage of SaaS is the ability to immediately start using the application without the need to purchase servers, software and tedious implementation process.
The most frequently emphasized benefits for the application user in the SaaS model are:
- No purchase cost of the application – in the SaaS model you usually pay a monthly subscription.
- No long and expensive process of implementation of application.
- Payment only for resources used – SaaS is automatically adjusted up and down depending on the usage level, which saves you money.
- Access to advanced applications – you do not need to buy, install, update or maintain any hardware or software. Thanks to the SaaS solution even organizations that cannot afford to buy and implement the required infrastructure and software, can use advanced applications in their company.
- Implementation speed – the application is immediately available for testing as a part of the trial period.
- Simplicity of working with the application and its management – SaaS applications are well designed in terms of usability, which will allow you to focus on the task, not on the “fight against the application”.
- No need to install any applications on the user’s computer – you can run most SaaS applications in a web browser without downloading or installing any software (some applications require plug-ins).
- Saving on support and service costs – using SaaS you do not need to maintain an extensive IT department or use external services of this type.
- Access to the current version of the software – you do not need to update the application on users’ computers.
- Access application data from anywhere – because the data is stored in the cloud, you will have access to your information from any computer or mobile device connected to the Internet. For the same reason, no data is lost in the event of a computer or user device failure.
- Security guarantee – SaaS services are provided by IT systems that are physically and logically secured in order to meet the most demanding customers.
- Data security – the SaaS provider makes copies of customer data.
- Flexibility – SaaS solutions easily adapt to the growth of customer demand due to e.g. company development, because they operate on a platform designed to serve thousands of users.
- High availability – SaaS are the type of services that must be available without interruption. Suppliers provide the highest level of reliability, including systems ensuring the continuity of work in the event of natural disasters or major accidents (disaster recovery systems).
- Easy employee mobilization – SaaS solution will make it easier for you to “mobilize” employees because they have access to SaaS data and applications from any computer or mobile device connected to the Internet. You do not have to worry about developing applications that work on different types of computers and devices because the service provider has already dealt with this. You also do not need to hire employees with special knowledge that allows them to deal with security problems that are inherently associated with the processing of data on mobile devices. A carefully selected service provider will ensure the security of your data regardless of the type of device used to use them.